Printer Friendly Version
Children between 12 and 24 months of age participate in our exciting toddler program. Although some children start earlier, it is when many children begin walking, talking, using "sippy cups" and begin the journey towards independence and confidence building. We place a special emphasis on helping children explore their world and find new ways to communicate all the wonderful things they are learning about.
Toddlers start each day with breakfast, but quickly move into activities that are designed to expand vocabulary, develop fine and gross motor ability and social skills. A few of the activities designed for our toddlers include:
- Arts and crafts projects to encourage the development of fine motor skills
- Story time to help develop language skills and model the joy and value of reading
- Music time to encourage expression and allow children to play with instruments or dance with colored pompoms
- Materials time to allow children to explore the sensation of touch and use of different items (water, sand, clay, etc...)
- Matching activities to aid object and pattern recognition.
- Free play to encourage the development of both social skills and values like sharing and gentleness.
Toddlers also begin to experience a more structured environment as they follow the daily group schedule for the class. Children eat breakfast, lunch and snacks at a table as a group and participate in an after lunch nap time. These changes may take some time to learn so we coordinate with you to make this transition as successful as possible. Below is a typical day in the life of at Toddler at First Steps AcademY:
|6:45am - 9:00am
||6:45am - 9:00am
|| Nap Time
|8:30am - 9:00am
|| Afternoon Activities
|9:00am - 11:00am
|| Morning activities
|| Afternoon Recess
We recognize the great trust it requires to place your child in the care of another person. To help provide your family the best possible experience:
- A Family Care Representative is assigned to your family to provide support and information as your child progresses through their time at First Steps Academy.
- Daily Reports, generated by the teacher, are sent home each day informing you of foods eaten, diaper changes, naps taken, medication administered, activities performed, and any other information you request, so you can know all the details of your child's day.
- Classrooms have been equipped with telephones allowing you to connect directly with your teacher.
- Medical issues and significant changes in mood are responded to with prompt phone calls to you, so you can make a decision based on the most immediate information available.
- Parent teacher conferences are organized twice a year or at your request.
- Schedules have been arranged to give you a better chance of seeing your teacher or assistant teacher each morning or afternoon.
- There is a lead-qualified teacher in each of our classrooms. These teachers have either a bachelor's degree in a child related field, a CDA or equivalent certification.
- Each lead teacher is supported by an assistant teacher who helps provide care and instruction throughout the day.
- Teachers at First Steps Academy have a special blend of attention to detail and love of children.
- And finally, we select teachers that can provide our own children with love and inspiration as well as safe and creative environments.